Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hot and Spicy Black Bean Fusili

The great thing about pasta is that its just so so versatile. I simply love to be innovative with it and every time I decide to make some, I try to work with ingredients in my refrigerator and pantry. Last Sunday, after a beautiful and very fun day out, I was rummaging in my pantry when I suddenly felt a craving for black beans. I love black beans in Vegetarian Tacos, acaraje, and salsa. But I have never tried them with pasta. So I asked myself - why not? And below is the result :)
 Ingredients:1 can black beans, drained
1 large green pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 spring onions
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 cup olives, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp colby jack cheese, grated
2 tbsp low fat cream cheese
1/3 cup milk
11/2 cups vegetable stock
1 tbsp cornflour
Salt & Pepper
3 cups dry pasta
1 tbsp olive oil

Method:
  1. Boil the pasta in plenty of water and one teaspoon of salt.
  2. Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan. Add the chopped garlic, onions, and the jalapeno pepper, lower the heat and stir fry for 2 minutes. To this, add the black beans, olives, carrots, and green pepper. Stir once, then cover and cook for 5 minutes.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix the milk, stock, and the cornflour. Pour into the vegetable and bean mix, stirring constantly. Once the sauce begins to thicken, add the cheeses, and the salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and stir on low heat for around five minutes.
  4. Taste the sauce, adjust the seasonings, and pour over the pasta.
Serve hot and enjoy the explosion of flavours. This recipe goes out to Katie who is hosting Presto Pasta Nights #73. Thanks Ruth Once Upon a Feastfor keeping this super event going!!

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007-2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.

3 comments:

  1. Beans, olives and pasta - perfect.
    Oh, and the cheese and peppers is nice too.
    I could live on dishes like this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks tasty, and perfect for hot weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pasta. I want to try it. Pls let me know whether jack chesse has less fat when compared to other cheese.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Annarasa! I hope you enjoyed visiting my virtual kitchen. As you savour your taste tour, leave me a note, post a query, share your thoughts. I will do my best to respond to every comment :)

Apu @ Annarasa