Saturday, August 9, 2008

Spinach & Ricotta Manicotti

My friends and visitors to this blog are already familiar with the fact that I really don't enjoy using raw egg in my recipes. I try as far as possible to avoid them and where necessary replace them with relevant alternatives. All the recipes that I have come across for manicotti tend to use egg in the filling, I believe to bind together the ingredients. When I set out to make this recipe egg free, I was not quite sure how the filling would hold up. I was really pleasantly surprised to see it turned out perfect!!



Ingredients
6 manicotti shells
11/2 cups frozen spinach
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 cloves garlic
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp Italian herbs
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups ready prepared pasta sauce
Salt, to taste

Method:
  1. Cook the manicotti in plenty of water and salt as per the instructions on the box. Drain and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile prepare the filling. For the filling, cook the spinach for 10 minutes in the microwave. Remove, and drain the spinach.
  3. Pour the oil in a nonstick sauce pan. When hot, add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Turn down the heat, and then add the onions. Fry them until they are transparent.
  4. Next add the spinach, seasonings, black pepper, and salt. Cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and cool.
  5. Mix the spinach with the ricotta - blend them well. Use this as a filling for the manicotti shells.
  6. Spray an oven proof dish with a little olive oil, and arrange the stuffed manicotti. Cover completely with the pasta sauce.
  7. Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for around 20 minutes.
  8. Serve hot.
    The Spinach & Ricotta Manicotti is my very first contribution to the wonderful A.W.E.D series hosted by DK of Culinary Bazaar. The theme being Italian, manicotti fits just in:)


    It also goes to Presto Pasta Nights #76 , hosted this week by Ruth herself at Once Upon a Feast!!

    All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007-2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.

    8 comments:

    1. The Manicotti looks great.

      I read a new recipe in a magazine where the author used boiled and mashed chick peas as filling.

      wow!how many different ways to serve manicotti!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I have a small treat for you here...http://simpleindianfood.blogspot.com/2008/08/masala-puri-with-moong.html

      ReplyDelete
    3. First time I tasted manicotti when I was in hospital after my delivery. I was blown away with the taste. I am not sure if they used eggs but that included ricotta and cottage cheese. The dish is looking tempting. Will try it soon.

      ReplyDelete
    4. It really is not necc to include eggs for this dish since ricotta also helps to bind. I love manicotti and try lots of puree as filling. Thanks for sending me this beautiful entry for AWED.


      DK
      (culinarybazaar.blogspot.com)

      ReplyDelete
    5. It does look fantastic. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Hi,

      This looks really great ... I have been looking for Italian recipes ..... have added this to my to do list :) ....

      thanks a lot for your comment on Shahi Kulfi

      -Ashima

      ReplyDelete

    Welcome to Annarasa! I hope you enjoyed visiting my virtual kitchen. As you savour your taste tour, leave me a note, post a query, share your thoughts. I will do my best to respond to every comment :)

    Apu @ Annarasa