Friday, February 20, 2009

Sookhi Rajma ki Dal | Spicy Red Kidney Beans


What would Aloo Tikkis be without an accompanying sauce? Of course, every self-respecting chef does stock up on an assortment of chutneys and ketchup!! But the simplicity of the tikkis is somehow jazzed up wonderfully with a tasty legume of some kind - often spicy chickpeas. I simply adore that combination which I love to serve up with tamarind and mint chutney. Yummy:)

However, when I am in a hurry, i.e. no time for the labour of preparing chickpeas for tikki (its an altogether different recipe, and if you want to get it perfect - takes a good chunk of time), I make this very quick and easy sauce with kidney beans. Now you can substitute the kidney beans with any other bean of choice, for the same delicious result. As always, serve the tikkis warm topped with this hearty sauce.


Ingredients:
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 large tomato, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 inch piece ginger, minced
1 green chili, minced
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp canola oil
Salt, to taste


Method:
  1. Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin.
  2. Next reduce the heat to medium and add the onion. Fry till tender.
  3. Now add the garlic and ginger and saute for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Then stir in the green chilies, tomatoes, turmeric, salt, and chili powder.
  5. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.
  6. Add the kidney beans. Mix into the sauce so that they are well coated with it.
  7. Add 1/3 cup water. Cover and cook until the sauce is bubbling. Adjust seasonings.
  8. Serve warm with Aloo Tikkis.
This sauce has truly become one of my favourite quick foods - fast to cook and satisfying to eat and all that ;) It really does taste amazing with the tikkis!!

It can be prepared in advance and refrigerated - but make sure you heat it really well before serving. And if you are in a real tearing hurry, try topping a hot buttered toast with it...

This one goes to Susan @ The Well Seasoned Cook for the 8th Helping of My Legume Love Affair!!


Vegan Recipe

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007-2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.

7 comments:

  1. Kidney beans are so healthy, you don;t need any side dish to have this. Looks great Apu, enjoy. Great entry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beans looks very delicious & healthy Apu

    ReplyDelete
  3. simple..Healthy and delicious..Apu..

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely recipe indeed. A Quickfix but full of flavours. Am I thankful that we have canned beans so easily available, though the ony ones i use canned are kidney beans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apu, Just coming by from susan's place. congrats on your win!!!

    A simple flavorful recipe! I serve chana with aloo tikki, but this is defitely a nice change. Cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asha:
    You are right, they taste so good, they are perfect for a quick and filling snack too!!

    Trupti & Ashwini:
    Thanks for stopping by!! Beans are packed with nutrition - for a change try them on hot toast. Yumm.

    PG:
    I love the convienence of tinned beans - though I too try to keep it to a minimum.

    Soma:
    Thanks for alerting me - I've been so tied up that I have not even looked at my blog for the last week!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am about to grill myself a cheese sandwich, but would much rather have a lunch of spicy rajma over tikki.

    Lipsmackingly good, Apu! Thanks for sharing your recipe for MLLA8!

    And congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Annarasa! I hope you enjoyed visiting my virtual kitchen. As you savour your taste tour, leave me a note, post a query, share your thoughts. I will do my best to respond to every comment :)

Apu @ Annarasa