This recipe had several parts, the Pate Sablee, Marmalade, Orange Segments, Caramel (which I skipped as its too sweet for us, and replaced with a simple Orange Sauce), and Whipped Cream. Luckily I had already made some Marmalade in December, what will all that citrus in the market! I made a Three Fruit Marmalade with lemons, oranges, and grapefruit. The recipe for this delectable citrus 'not quite jam' follows shortly!!
Eggless Pate Sablee
1/2 cup whole meal flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp butter
4 tbsp fat free milk
Pinch of salt
Pinch of baking soda
1 tsp orange zest
- Combine all ingredients except the milk. Break down the butter and rub it into the flour so that they are combined well.
- Add just enough milk to make a soft dough. Chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Roll out the dough to 1/8" thickness, and cut out cookies to the shape and size of the Tian you intend to make.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until they begin to brown. This will vary depending on the number off cookies on your tray.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- These can be prepared in advance and stored in a air-tight container until required.
1 large orange
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Cut the orange into thin segments, taking care to separate the pith and remove the seeds.
- Place the segments in the orange juice. Allow to sit until you begin to assemble the dessert.
1 cup fresh single cream/half-and-half
1 tbsp hot water
1tsp confectioner's sugar
1/4 tsp cardamom seeds, ground fine
2 tbsp walnuts, ground fine
1 tbsp orange blossom water
- Combine the agar-agar with the hot water in a saucepan. Add the cream. Bring to a boil.
- Turn off heat, add the walnuts, orange blossom water, cardamom seeds, and sugar.
- Cool until it begins to set.
Orange Juice in which the segments are soaked
1 tbsp Orange Blossom Water
1 tsp sugar
- Combine all and heat for a minute.
- Allow to cool completely before use.
- If the sauce thickens too much, whip it up before use.
- Layer the Tian in individual dessert cups. Start with the orange segments, next the cream, next marmalade, and finally the Sablee.
- Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Store in refrigerator until you decide to serve. Using a sharp knife, go around the edges of the dessert cup. Turn over the dessert plate and gently tap the dish to release the Tian.
- Serve chilled with the Orange Sauce.
All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2010. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.