Saturday, January 29, 2011

Tamatar Moongphali Pachidi | Tomato Peanut Chutney: Version 1.0

Few days back I made rava idli at home. It was a real treat. My desi mixer-grinder stopped working a few months back and I have not been able to make any of our favourites including idli, dosa, uttapa, chutney since. Having sworn off buying another blender until I find something that is truly heavy duty and will fulfill the needs of a desi kitchen, I am stuck with pursuing recipes that require at the most a dry grinder!! Finding one to do replace the conked machine is no easy task. Any one with any suggestion, do leave a note in the comments section - I will truly appreciate any input in this matter :)

Moving on: with my rava idli steaming in the cooker, and sambaar bubbling away on the hob, I began to crave some sort of chutney to go with this feast!! So I modified a recipe of a tomato pachadi that I love. This chutney can be eaten as is, Alternatively, add a couple of tablespoons of fresh yogurt to get a looser blend that tastes just as yummy!!

More Peanut Chutney Recipes @ Annarasa:
Moongphali ki Chatni | Peanut Chutney
Tamatar Moongphali Chatni | Tomato Peanut Chutney Ver. 2.0

Ingredients:
3 tomatoes, chopped fine
1 green chili
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped fine
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
Salt to taste
1/2 cup peanut, roasted
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp jaggery

Method:
  1. Heat oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds and roast.
  2. Reduce the heat to medium, add the green chilies, cilantro, and the tomatoes.
  3. Stir and fry for a couple of minutes, the add the turmeric, chili powder, and salt.
  4. Blend well, add 1/4 cup of water. Cover and cook until the tomatoes are soft.
  5. Add the jaggery, turn off the heat, and allow to cool for a few minutes.
  6. Meanwhile blend the dry roasted peanuts into a fine powder.
  7. Pour this powder into the tomato chutney, mix well, and serve warm or cold.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.

7 comments:

  1. Oh hoo.. I would be all confused without my mixer grinder. Idli, dosa, chutney is a must in our house. Sorry, I do not have recommendations as yet, I will check with few of my colleagues. Like the idea of tomato and peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chutney looks yummy!

    I don't have a desi grinder and I use my cuisinart blender for grinding. I don't make idli dosa regularly but when ever I do make, I use this blender. It comes out fine and I use idli rice for my batters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm thats a droolworthy chutney, definitely new for me..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bookmarked Apu. I have to try it out soon. Looks so tempting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the combo of tomato and peanuts..Sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot help you with blender advice, but I am intrigued by your chutney!

    ciao

    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Annarasa! I hope you enjoyed visiting my virtual kitchen. As you savour your taste tour, leave me a note, post a query, share your thoughts. I will do my best to respond to every comment :)

Apu @ Annarasa