Chili Corn is another dish that is a favourite at Indian Style Chinese Restaurants. Sometimes though I find that it had a little too much chili for our taste. Last week when it was raining cats and dogs here, we were craving some nice hot Chinese food with rice I decided to make Chili Corn. We enjoyed it with Jasmine rice that I had picked up from my last visit to the wonderful Asian store in our city!!
11/2 cup baby corn
1 block tofu
1 white onion, quartered
1 green pepper, cubed
1 tbsp garlic, minced fine
1 tbsp ginger, grated
1 green chili, minced
2 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil
1 tbsp canola oil
For the Sauce:
1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
11/2 tbsp Sriracha sauce
Salt to taste
11/2 tbsp cornflour
For the Marinade:
2 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp oil
- Prepare the tofu at least 1 hour before you begin cooking by wrapping the block in multiple sheets of kitchen towels and setting it under an even heavy weight. This will allow any excess water in the tofu to escape and give you a nice firm brick to work with.
- Cube the prepared tofu and set aside.
- Chop the baby corn into one inch pieces. Set aside.
- Prepare the marinade by blending all the ingredients for the marinade with a quarter cup of water.
- Begin with tossing the baby corn in this marinade. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes, then fry in the heated canola oil until the coating is cooked. Remove into a heat proof bowl.
- Next pour the remaining marinade over the tofu pieces. Toss and fry in batches in the same oil until they begin to brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the sesame seed oil. Heat, Reduce the heat to a medium low, then add the ginger, then the garlic. Saute for a minute. Throw in the green chilies.
- Next add the onions, and fry for a couple of minutes. Next add the green peppers and fry another couple of minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce together in a cup with three fourth cup of water. Pour this mix into the pan. Increase the heat and stir gently. The sauce will thicken. Check it for seasoning and adjust according to taste.
- Add the baby corn pieces and the tofu. Cook on a low heat for 5-7 minutes so that the corn and tofu are well coated with the sauce.
- Adjust the heat level to suit your taste. We prefer a relatively milder flavour.
- I sometimes like to add broccoli and sugar snap peas to this recipe - its incredibly good and ups its nutritive value considerably.
- The marinade adds flavour, but if you prefer not to do any extra frying, skip it and add the tofu and sweet corn without frying as per recipe.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.