Jeweled Quinoa Pilaf is just one such recipe that I created some time back. Its quick, easy, healthy, and perfect for cold winter evenings. As you will see, it uses seasonal items from the pantry, but the addition of celery and cucumber add that unbeatable fresh taste that brings with it memories of the summer.
1 cup quinoa
2 tbsp pepitas, roasted
2 tbsp dried cranberries
1/4 cup celery, chopped fine
1/3 cup green peppers, chopped fine
1/3 cup cucumbers, chopped fine
1 cup chickpeas (garbanzo beans), boiled
3 cloves garlic, smashed
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp olive oil
- Cook the quinoa as per the directions on the packet. Using a fork, fluff, cover, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan. Add the garlic cloves. Fry for a minute. Add the cumin.
- Add the chickpeas and a quarter cup of water. Cover and cook until the water in gone.
- Next stir in the celery and green peppers. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the quinoa, Season with salt and pepper.
- Finally, throw in the cucumber, pepitas, and cranberries.
- Stir everything together. Check seasoning.
- Turn off the heat and leave covered for about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
The crunchiness of the pepitas and the sweet-tartness of the cranberries give this pilaf an amazing taste and texture. This dish serves well as a main dish but is also a great idea for a yummy and healthy side!! The Jeweled Quinoa Pilaf with Pepitas and Cranberries goes to Priya @ Mharo Rajasthan. She is hosting Cooking with Whole Foods: Quinoa this month. CWF - WG was started by Kiran of Sumadhura blog.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.